Registration for the 2017 Sunburn Camp is now open. The camp is open to all paddlers from 13 to 23 year old who want to improve their technique, paddle in sunny San Diego while the remaining of the country is frozen, or just have fun on and off the water during the winter break. The main focus will be the Olympic Paddle Sports of Sprint Canoe and Kayak.
This year, our performance coach will be Marsh Jones, Twin Cities Paddlesports in Minnesota. Marsh is the chair of the coach education committee and an ICF Coach Instructor. He has coached Sunburn Camp and several USACK camps over the past few years, and was head coach for the CANAMEX regatta in Panuco, Mexico last year. In addition to coaching paddling, he is also a nordic ski coach, paddler, skier and cyclist, and brings concepts from all these sports into his coaching.
When: Dec 27th to 30th.
Cost of attendance:
In order to keep a low paddler to coach ratio, we are limiting the camp to 25 paddlers. Please register early to reserve your spot.
Do I need to bring my own boat?
What is included in the overnight camp?
• Overnight camp includes lodging in dormitories and all meals and snacksWhat will be a typical day like for overnight campers?
Various break will be scheduled during the day for recovery.
Overnight campers will have access to a common room for games and socializing, outside of the practice time.
Lunch and snacks will be provided to all paddlers, either day or overnight campers.
How do I upgrade from a day camper to overnight camper?
May parents attend the camp?
• The camp is designed for paddlers from 13 to 23 years old.
• However, if you are interested in staying at the camp with your paddlers, you are welcome. You will stay with the paddlers in the dorms, participate to all the off-the-water activities. We may request your help for the day-to-day logistics.
• Parents may use any of the club equipment, as long as it does not interfere with the camp, but no formal practice will be arranged for the chaperones. All parents who want to use the club equipment will be required to be ACA members and sign the required waivers.
When is the deadline to register?
• The registration will close when 25 paddlers are registered. Register early to secure your spot
When do I need to pay?
What are the dorms like? What do I need to bring?• The dorms are cabin type accommodations with bunk beds, separated by biological gender. We recommend you bring a warm sleeping bag and pillow. Gender appropriate chaperones will be staying in the dorms with the campers.
• Even if San Diego weather is mild in the winter, we recommend you bring some warm clothing, as well as wet-weather clothing. We will send a detailed packing list to all participants in advance.
What if a paddler has allergies or dietary restrictions?
Health Form: Health Form (requires PDF reader)